New Visitor Center and Exhibits
Grand Opening Celebration and
Native Sons of the Golden West Dedication
Saturday June 6th 2015 11:00am
The Origin of the Park
Joseph Marzen sold one acre of land east of Donner Lake to Charles F. McGlashan for the purpose of erecting a monument to the Donner Party. McGlashan then sold the land to the Native Sons of the Golden West (NSGW) for $1.00 in August of 1909. At the center of the acre, according to McGlashan, was the site of the Breen Cabin, where the monument would be situated. On June 6, 1918, the NSGW dedicated the completed Pioneer Memorial.
California Governor William D. Stephens signed legislation acquiring “Donner Monument and lands contiguous thereto.” On May 23, 1928, the Grand Parlor of the Native Sons of the Golden West conveyed 11 acres of land to the People of the State of California. The deed for the parcel adjacent to the Lincoln Highway included one provision:
“The tract of land above described shall be known and designated as the Donner State Monument and shall be a memorial to the California Pioneers of the Overland Trail”